April 30, 2008

Egg Hole Toast by Guest Chef Nanette

My mom used to make this when we were growing up, and it is one of my favorite breakfasts!
There are 2 variations.
Ingredients
1 egg for each serving
1 piece of bread for each serving
Equipment:
1 medium sized drinking glass
optional:
milk
extra eggs

Directions:
Heat a frying pan
In each piece of bread, use the drinking glass to cut out a hole. You can also butter the hole and fry that as well. butter the bread and spray the pan with cooking spray
place the bread in the pan and crack the egg into the hole
when the bread is to your desired color, and the bottom of the egg is opaque, flip the egg and toast over to cook the other side
when finished, top with jam and syrup, or any other breakfast topping
Variation:
When my mom made this, she would French toast the bread. She'd mix eggs and milk, like she was making French toast, and then dip the bread and hole in the batter before frying it. That way is also very good

3 comments:

  1. My mom used to make these and now I make them. But we called them one eyed jacks. I have no idea why but thats what we called them:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, sometimes I swear that we are two peas in a pod. I have this sitting on my camera to post on my recipe blog too! We call them birds in a nest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.
-Voltaire

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Visitors